Monday, November 18, 2013

The Little Things

Sometimes it is the little gestures that mean the most and show you just how spectacular the people around you are.

I'm surrounded by some pretty great people.

Last week I needed a ride to the airport to go to California to present a research poster at a conference. Kyle was headed to Kansas City to play poker, so  I made him wait an extra hour and a half for me to pack and drive me to Kansas City.  He was stoked. :/
Half way there I realized I left the poster in my car. In Collins.  We didn't get to Kansas City until 9:30 that night.  What a great big brother. 



My other brother proceeds to text him messages such as, "How's the trip going?", "Making any money?", "You there yet?" throughout the rest of the trip. What a great big brother. :)

My best friend texts me a devotional she read and thought of me...
"Therefore, every triumph of faith and all perseverance in obedience are testimonies to the goodness of God and the preciousness of Christ - whether the enemy is sickness, Satan, sin or sabotage… All suffering of every kind is a suffering with Christ and for Christ." Just when I needed to hear it most. God works through her.
Leah is one of the two biggest supporters of this blog. Her encouragement helped me set aside my self doubt and trust God. What a great friend.

Last Friday I brought my lunch box into the house from my car where it had remained uneaten since Monday. My mom cleaned that sucker out.
My mom who works 10 hour days, comes home and takes care of my grandma and runs her to all of her appointments, still takes care of me after I've had a bad day. What a great mom. 

After the assembly last week, I got this text. What a great dad.

I was delighted to return to Columbia for a long weekend at home! When I came inside I saw a package addressed to me with this book inside:

When Dana and I were deciding what bible study to do together I had wanted to do one on suffering called "Glorious Ruin" in hopes of preparing my heart and mind as Grandma Ruby declines.  However, we went to sign up for it, the class was full and I was disappointed.
Dana text me not minutes after and I realized where the book came from.
Dana said that she felt like it was the only thing she could do as time goes on for my grandma and that she got one for herself too. What a great friend.

Currently, I only see Michael on the weekend because of clinical.  My trip to California last weekend meant I would not see him for two whole weeks. He wouldn't let that happen. :) He was going to pick me up from the airport.  That was when we thought my flight got in at 10:40 am, not p.m.
Instead of making me find my own way home, he took off work Monday morning and waited in Kansas City into the wee hours of the night as I sat on the tarmac for an extra two hours.  Then he drove me two hours home.  Then he got up and drove two hours back to Columbia to go to work.
What a great husband.

These people build me up and make me courageous.
I want to be more like them.


No comments:

Post a Comment