Monday, February 24, 2014

A Song for Grandma



















My best friends skipped class, drove two hours, and surprised me when I needed them most.





It’s funny, the things you remember. I can see grandma swiping the mixing bowl and licking her finger to try her waffle batter. I can hear her laughing at the kitchen table telling stories about grandpa and his brothers. I can smell her hugs as I knelt down in front of her chair to lay my head on her shoulder. I remember the soft feel of her nails when I held her hand They were so soft, I would always ask to paint them and she wouldn’t let me. I remember her quiet, happiness as I opened her gifts. Grandma made every present she gave. She said she has never had money to buy gifts, so she hoped everyone would like what she could make. I will treasure them always. Last year when I sent a letter to gather financial support to serve in Guatemala, I cried when I saw Grandma gave like the widow in the gospel of Luke. Her life taught me so much: To give out of scarcity, not abundance. To love God first, my husband and family second. To be content, not in want.
To be so confident in my God that I am unafraid of death.
There are a few things I am sure about. I am sad, my grandma was an amazing woman and I will miss her presence in my life everyday.
She lived a happy life full of joy.
And she is now with Jesus.


"Ruby would want you to remember..." 













A beautiful day for the most beautiful woman I have ever known.


 John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment