Thursday, January 1, 2015

Looking Back. And Forward.

I used to scoff at the constant barrage of reflection and resolutions with the beginning of a new year. How cliché.

I'm turning a new leaf. Pausing to appreciate where you have been and where you want to go is not a negative fad. It is encouraging.

2014 was a year of change.

Last New Year's Eve I sat on Grandma Ruby's hospital bed in the living room, practicing crocheting while listening to the hum of the oxygen concentrator. Grandma sat in her chair and we watched game shows. "Big money, big money, no whammies, no whammies!"

I wrote this blog post:  A very, very NEW year

A post filled with questions about 2014. Questions that have all been answered.

2014

In February I said good-bye to one of the most influential people in my life. An amazing woman of God and loving grandmother. Her life and her death taught me a lot about the character of God. 


Jesus conquered death by dying on the cross. 
Death is only known in this world that is separated from God.
And most importantly, this life is temporary. 
She is alive in Christ.


In March:
 I turned 25. I am officially closer to 30 than 20. :( 

I started my clinical at Mercy in Springfield. And left with a job. 

In May I graduated along side the best of friends and colleagues. 




We left Columbia and moved to Springfield. 

And lived in a tiny, smelly two bedroom apartment that Boone promptly destroyed.


In June we celebrated Michael's 25th birthday in style. 


I started my job as a pediatric therapist,


and have since fallen in love with a lot of amazing kiddos. 

In July we welcome my niece and namesake Zoe René.



I took the biggest and longest test of my life. 

And passed!

In August we celebrated four years of marriage and went under contract on our first home.



In September we got to met our niece Allyanna. 


In October we closed on our house! 


And moved in!



We celebrated Boone's 1st Birthday!




In the last few months of this year we have LOVED getting to spend time making our house a home and making Springfield our home. We have made new friends and enjoyed visits with old friends. We are still looking for a new church home and have learned a ton about God as we search.

A year ago, I posed the thought: What next New Years will look like is a complete and utter mystery.

On New Year's Eve we celebrated the life of my great grandma Garnet. While her death leaves us sad, her 98 years here glorified God and she knows a peace I can't imagine.

It truly brings to light the promise of the Lord. The truth about this next year is that it will still fall short of the eternity that awaits me. So while I look forward to whatever the Lord has in store, I refuse to place my hope in the promise a New Year brings.

Because at the end of every day, this world is not my home.

I thank God for every change small and large that filled 2014. Each one has brought me a little closer to Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment