Sunday, January 11, 2015

Why we haven't found a church.


It's not like we are looking for a church that is " just right for us". I'm not even sure we really had criteria when we started our search. Maybe initially we were looking for somewhere like our church in Columbia, The Crossing.

As our search has grown longer, every Sunday we learn a little bit more about the church God has called us to, and possibly why we moved.

On Sunday mornings we are searching for a message, for a church, of grace.

A while back I posted a post entitled "Unashamed"following a sermon at a church we had a attended for awhile. (I quickly unpublished it and re-titled it "Ashamed" ha! You can read it here.) It reflected on a sermon about how the gospel demands a response. It was a moving, convicting sermon.

While I didn't state this, probably because of pride, I sat there that day and I doubted my salvation.

I thought about all the ways I fail God everyday. How I do not constantly seek repentance or surrender to God. I thought about how controlling I am. How selfish I am. How utterly sinful I am...And I doubted my salvation.

I lost sight of one of the most important characteristics of God. His grace.

"God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God." Ephesians 2:8

God showed me His truth. Given the choice, we would never have chosen Him. I would not have chosen Him because I am sinful. I can take no credit for even believing in Him.

I am not saved by a prayer I pray. I am not saved by a believer's baptism. I am not saved by my actions. I am saved by grace. Grace alone.

For a second, I lost sight of that very important truth.

Repentance and obedience to God is a response to salvation, not the cause of it.

We have been given a conviction to serve a church that is overflowing with the message of grace.
Over the past 7 months we have learned that finding a church, for us, is not about finding a church for us at all. It is about finding a church that exalts the name of the Lord above all. A church that is not confined to four walls but that goes with you into the work place and into the city to spread the message of grace to all those you come in contact with.

A couple months ago, probably at a time when we were still looking for a church "for us", we  visited a church where a guest preacher talked about a church plant.  Today we visited another church for the first time, and that same preacher was there sharing the message of this new church and our mission as believers:

18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28: 18-20

I can't help but think that the Lord is not a God of coincidence. That He brought us to Springfield, out of a church that grew us and that we loved, into months of church going and seeking and challenging our understanding of His grace and His character to prepare us for something. Maybe it is to pray for this new church. Maybe it is to be a part of it.  I'm excited to find out what He has in mind.

Because above all, I know He is in control of all things, and He is with me always.  Til the end of the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment