Sunday, June 30, 2013

DIY: Race medal & bib holders

Awhile back I found this on Pinterest:

                                                            
Now, you can buy these on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/runningonthewall

BUT if you are cheap like me you can make them!
I had some wood left over from making this for my dad for Christmas.
You can find a piece like it at Home Depot!


I began by measuring how large I would want to cut the boards.
 (If you are making the medal sign you can make it however long and wide you would like. I used past race bibs centered on the board to determine the size for the race bib sign.) 

I stenciled the lettering prior to cutting the signs to ensure they were measured accurately.
The stencils I used were 2 in. block lettering.  I didn't like the disjointed look so I connected them. 
The cursive parts were a little tricky.  I found a font I liked online and printed the words love and bibs.
I was able to free hand them while looking at the fonts. 

 I used a circular saw to cut a 16 x 6 in. (medal sign) and a 9.5 x 11 in. (race bibs) board.  
I hand sanded the edges with a small set of different gradient sandpaper. 

The spray paints I used were glossy, but a matte color would be good if you would like to do the distressed look pictured above.  
The pencil markings were visible through the spray paint and I was able to use a small brush to free hand the lettering in white acrylic paint (you can buy this at any craft store).

I bought screw hooks from a hardware store.  I found mine at Westlakes, but they are sold at Lowe's and Home Depot also. The straight screw hooks are best for the bibs; however, you can choose whatever you like best! You can also get silver, bronze, gold, etc.
For the medal sign, I marked for 8 holes with 1'' on each side, 2'' between each, and 1'' from the bottom.
For the bib sign, I marked for the hooks to be 6.75'' apart & 7.25'' from the bottom.
Using a nail, I tapped each marking and then screwed the hooks into the boards by hand. 


There are many different ways you could hang it. I used a key hole bit so that it would hang flush against the wall.

AND WAHLAH!

1 comment: