Friday, August 16, 2013

Clinical 3: Done.


Yesterday marked the end of my third clinical.  

I saw a variety of injuries: TBI, CVA, amputations, rhabdomyolysis, joint replacements, & demyelinating diseases. Just to name a few.

I had the opportunity to treat some people I fell in love with, some difficult  challenging people,
...and one really creepy one. 
Learning tons from each one.

I was blessed enough to have a clinical instructor who was not only a great teacher always looking for teaching moments, but also a really fun person to be around.

Some highlights:

While treating an elderly man another patient asked if we were doing aqua therapy or normal therapy.
The elderly man asked if we could do aqua therapy. Five minutes later, out of nowhere:
"Do you have a 2-piece or a 1-piece?"
No, we will not be doing aqua therapy.

One week. Five different patients. Pants fell to ankles when walking.

During an evaluation with a new patient I had her walk up stairs she did think she could.  She muttered curse words the whole way up and said,
"I hope you aren't a good Christian girl."
"Oh I am, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to cuss."


A woman with a TBI came up with some pretty elaborate stories about Barrack Obama bringing her barbecued raccoon & would only participate in therapy if we I made her a "skinny girl drink".
AKA
 Diet Shasta soda + simply thick.
(PS: just learned barbecued is not spelled with a q. That is a travesty.)

I told one of my patients yesterday would be my last day.
"What am I going to do? Who will I be working with?"
"Eric." (My clinical instructor.)
"Who's Eric?"
Humorous that most of our patients didn't know who he was. :)

The following were all asked at random intervals throughout my time with this patient:
"How many pairs of pants do you have?"
"I like those slacks."
"How much do you weigh?"
"Are your pants spandex?"
"No, they are jeans?"
"But you wear spandex, don't you?"
WHHHAAATTT?!


On that note... I can't wait to get paid for my services. HA

8 weeks of class. 8 week clinical. 8 weeks of class. 8 week clinical.
GRADUATION! 

I can't wait to be a physical therapist. :)



2 comments:

  1. So excited for you! So close to being done! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I'm super excited for this next year :)

    ReplyDelete