Friday, May 23, 2014

Mischief Managed


It has been a long winding road that led to walking across the steps of Jesse Hall with my beloved peers and future colleagues in front of my amazing family and never failing support system as
"Dr. Katelyn Rene Wilson"
was said and a doctoral hood was placed over my shoulders.


I must say that it was one of the proudest moments of my life.


I did not do this on my own.

Every test, every service opportunity, every accomplishment - was at His hands. Not mine.
God brought me here. He equipped me and sent me. He saw me through.

To God be the glory.

This day has been my goal, an aspiration far in the distance for many years. It seemed as though it would never come. It is hard to sit here now and reflect on that fact that it has come and gone.

Physical therapy school became a home.  The faculty and my classmates, a family. I could not have hand picked 43 more perfect people to spend the past 3 years with.


I have made lifelong friends that have challenged me, loved me, and made me better.







For the past three years I have sat next to Dana in every class, we have been partners for every check out, studied for every test, worshipped God, attended bible studies, spent many nights playing card games and watching trashy shows with our husbands, and ran hundreds of miles together.  Though these things will change and I will miss her constant presence in my life, our friendship is rooted in love for Christ and one another.  Our friendship has been a dependable and steady source of encouragement and growth since I first sat next to her in gross anatomy.



Rachel and I are the same person in most ways. Our tastes, our ambitions, our emotions, our faith. I know that no matter where I go, I will never be alone.


Merrell's genuine kindness and thoughtfulness is a constant source of inspiration.  I am thankful for her positive influence in my life.


God has truly blessed me through these friendships. For each, I will be forever thankful.






I filled with pride and gratitude as I saw my family standing on the quad.  I wouldn't be here if they hadn't been there.

My husband has worked hard to provide for me financially and spiritually throughout physical therapy school. He has attended every school event, brought me treats for long study nights, praised me for every achievement and believed in me when I didn't.



No one loves me like mom does, so fervently unconditional, so generously. Her warmth saw me through hard days.




My grandparents have always been shining examples of hard work and perseverance. I hope they saw that in me that day.


My brothers have given me a heart for all people. For when they were unlovable, I loved them dearly. I love more like Christ because of them.  I will be a better physical therapist for it.


My sister, Alicia, and her husband, Shannon, have housed me, fed me, and been great friends and supporters through this transition.  Alicia is always lifting me and my accomplishments up. When she introduces me to someone she never hesitates to brag on me, much more so than I deserve. I am so thankful to be so close to such good people and watch our relationships grow over weeknight dinners and family game nights. 

I have lived two hours from my best friend for the past 7 years. We have become wives and mother and our lives have changed drastically. But I know I have never left her prayers and she has never left mine. Her Godly example has challenged and guided me.


When I started gross anatomy my dad wrote this in my dissection manual.


He has worked tirelessly to provide me with an education to pursue a career I am passionate about.  I  seized every opportunity his hard work has afforded me to make the most of my education. I can't express how thankful I am to have the privilege to be a physical therapist and how instrumental my dad was in making this happen.







I hope I have made you proud, Dad.

My family has made all the difference in my life and this journey.

All my homework, exams, clinical rotations - the past 2,555 days culminated this past weekend in a matter of 24 hours. I sit here today no longer a student, but a Doctor of Physical Therapy.

Though this chapter of my life has come to a close and I am sad to see it go, I am excited.
God has again equipped me. He has given me new skills. Skills that can be used to make other's lives better.

Again, the glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment