Monday, October 7, 2013

A Happy Half Birthday


On October 2, my grandma turned 83 1/2 years old. When she was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell carcinoma of the lung in April and given her prognosis, it seemed we would not celebrate her birthday again. I wondered if I would be able to tell her about my trip to Guatemala in July or how school was going in August or get to visit her in September.  A few months ago when I had the idea to celebrate her "half birthday" I barely let myself think the thoughts.  

But this past Sunday our family gathered around an amazing woman to celebrate her life. 

And boy was she surprised...



The theme was Grandma's Favorite Things. Which includes but is not limited to Cardinal Baseball, Mizzou Football, fishing, Jesus, country music, games, white roses,  and of course, her family.


The menu also included her favorites: a to die for lasagna that everyone must make (recipe link below), salad, and garlic bread.
My best friend, Leah, spent the afternoon Saturday cooking with me.  :)

World's Best Lasagna
AND her favorites for dessert: angel food cupcakes, snickers, and jell-o cake.
(The serving plates are candlesticks and plates from Dollar Tree with some gorilla glue and (in the case of the purple ones) paint!)


As we watched Grandma's life in the slideshow below, I couldn't help but think what a happy life she has lead.  She has never had much, but she has never wanted much either.  She spent 47 years with a man who loved her more than life and fulfilled her dreams by raising four children with him. 
She loved God every step of the way.  

On their last anniversary before he died in 1996, she left a cassette tape on the table with a paper plate turned over that read "Happy Anniversary." 
Grandpa always said he didn't like cards, you couldn't eat them. :)

The cassette tape played a song that made him cry, one she wrote for him. 
 The last song in slideshow is the same song, sang just a few a months ago.


Everyone took home a DVD of the slideshow and a bookmark with Grandma's favorite bible verse, John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.
 That whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

My amazing, and previously mentioned on many different occasions, friend Merrell designed the CD cover and the bookmark. THEN her and my other amazing friend, Rachel, spent a couple hours helping me put them all together.
I get by with a little help from my friends.  


Jell-o cake is hard to decorate.
Gram liked it anyways!


 I prayed so much for this day.  To have this time all together to make memories with Grandma, for her to know how very loved she is, and to celebrate her life.  I was scared that this day wouldn't come. 

I cannot thank God enough.


After everyone left we played some cards and talked about the day. 

Grandma kept saying how she was surprised on her 75th birthday but nothing like today!

She also said that when she found out about the cancer she decided she wanted to make the most out of every day and for the time she had left to be filled with happiness...
And today was the highlight.

My heart is so very, very full.

No comments:

Post a Comment